eve_prime: (Default)
[personal profile] eve_prime
The Mimicking of Known Successes, by Malka Older. Mossa & Pleiti #1. I learned about this book when someone online asked about science fiction romances, and although in some ways I liked the book very much (the characters, the story, the unusual setting), I also found myself having major “suspension of disbelief” problems that kept distracting me. Two women who’d been in a romantic relationship in college find themselves working together to solve the mystery of a man who has disappeared. Their ancestors escaped from Earth after its ecosystem was destroyed, and they now live on platforms in the upper atmosphere of Jupiter. One of them is a professional investigator; the other is a Classics scholar – where Classics no longer means Greece and Rome, or ancient China or India or such, but rather, life on Earth. In other words, she studies Earth’s ecosystems.

Now, I have no problem suspending disbelief when it comes to “faster than light speed” or “magic is real.” But how could humans live on platforms in the upper atmosphere of Jupiter, platforms that aren’t enclosed in ways to protect them from the various swirling gases of the planet and to keep their supply of breathable air with them? They think this missing man may have stepped off the platform and gone hurtling down toward the planet, which would of course kill him, but why doesn’t their air supply likewise escape? When we’re more than halfway through the story, we learn that there are “atmoshields” that used to enclose the spaces, but the technology advanced so that the atmoshields are now permeable, so that the gases can come whirling through them (and people can step off platforms) – but the oxygen stays where it belongs? Eventually I had to decide to assume that the humans had somehow been engineered to live in such wild conditions, but then later I learned there were pigeons all over one of the places, and surely pigeons hadn’t also been engineered like that. Maybe I’m not the intended reader of the book… but giving us a narrator whose professional focus is ecosystem stability, so that we’re set up to think about such issues, makes it pretty hard to accept that this particular ecosystem works just fine.

Date: 2026-09-01 01:20 pm (UTC)
heleninwales: (Default)
From: [personal profile] heleninwales
I don't think I could suspend my disbelief sufficiently to be able to read that story. The atmosphere staying put for no real reason would put me off. Also why weren't there guard rails to stop people falling off the edge. And if the missing man fell to his death, what is keeping these platforms up? Perhaps they're in a stable orbit around the planet? If so, assuming the man went over the edge and thus out of the breathable atmosphere, that would kill him, but he would also stay in orbit and the body could be spotted. No, far too many holes in the science.

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   12 3 4 5
6 7 8 9101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 10th, 2026 07:59 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios