eve_prime: (Default)
[personal profile] eve_prime
Today was J’s last day of Worldcon, and I won’t be up in time for tomorrow morning’s panels, so it’s effectively my last too – although I’m more likely to watch some of the recordings. He started with a 9 am panel with two game creators – the creative director for the Hades games and the lead writer and more for the Clair Obscur game. He spoke a bit with the Hades person after. Then he went to the panel for Hugo Best Novel, and I’d set my alarm to get up early for that one, but they never managed to get the stream to work. However, I was able to share lots and lots of tidbits with the panel’s frustrated Discord members, since J kindly typed much of what he heard! Very helpful! He talked a bit with his new friends from the first day (and their book arrived here today), then went to panels about failing redemption arcs and the evolutionary arms race (I’m not entirely sure what those were about), then to a reading by author Robin Hobb, which I also joined. After that he went to a reading by author David Brin.

Meanwhile, I also attended a panel about the making of the first season of the Murderbot series, then the first half of a panel about story podcasting, which was fun because one of the panelists was Wil Wheaton. I also attended one about how authors organize their work – something like “Beyond the Pantsers and Plotters Spectrum.” I was especially interested to see Kate Elliott, since I’d so much enjoyed the two books she had out last year. Her own style of thinking about it is more like “architecture,” and I have to say that although I don’t know entirely what she meant by that, the architecture metaphor matches my own approach to writing. Also hearing so much about how people approach the writing of fiction made it seem much more possible – not that I’m likely to try it soon, if at all.

Finally, it was time for the Hugo awards. He sat up in the fifth row, and wasn’t entirely sure he should be there since there were finalists all around him (but also a few empty seats). The winner for best editor (long form) was right behind him. Then the big thrill came when John Scalzi won for best series, because it turned out that Christine Scalzi was right beside Jonathan on his left, and John right beside her! J got to congratulate him when he returned to his seat after accepting the award. Wow! His second highlight of the day was at a party later, when someone (recognizing the wizard cloak he’s been wearing every day) asked if he was the person with the interesting questions at the Ig Nobel panel yesterday. 😊

Date: 2026-08-31 12:34 pm (UTC)
heleninwales: (Default)
From: [personal profile] heleninwales
Conventions are a great place to wear costume if you enjoy dressing up.

I think my friend Brenda Clough might have been moderating that panel about the making of the first season of the Murderbot series. Was the author Martha Wells on it with her TV production team?

Date: 2026-09-01 11:44 am (UTC)
claidheamhmor: (Default)
From: [personal profile] claidheamhmor
What a fun experience!

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   12 3 4 5
6 7 8 9101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 10th, 2026 07:59 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios