Worldcon, day 2
Aug. 28th, 2026 11:54 pmJ’s Worldcon adventures today included watching an interview with Barbara Hambly, then a panel on magical systems, then a talk about some aspect of biology. He visited the art show, then a panel on mycology, and then he got to play a game – he was the captain of a six-person starship bridge crew playing a simulator game called Artemis. Later he went to some parties in the Hilton’s Lanai area, while his friend AH went to the John Scalzi dance party.
I also watched the Barbara Hambly interview, then I attended a virtual panel with medieval experts talking about ways to make medieval-based fantasy more realistic by having different types of people and different family relationships – godparents, wards, etc. Ada Palmer was in that group. Next I watched an interview with a guest of honor who is a fan and an aerospace engineer working on sustainable fuels for aircraft – her name was Anita Sengupta and she was very entertaining and enthusiastic. After that (and a quick shopping errand) I watched a panel about making interesting fictional villains; Martha Wells was one of the panelists and as thoughtful as ever.
In the evening I watched this week’s Friday movie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I hadn’t seen in more than 40 years, though I think I saw it twice before that. I really didn’t remember anything after Brad and Janet were separated. It was fun to crank up the volume to “Time Warp” and bounce around on the couch with Ambrose.
I also watched the Barbara Hambly interview, then I attended a virtual panel with medieval experts talking about ways to make medieval-based fantasy more realistic by having different types of people and different family relationships – godparents, wards, etc. Ada Palmer was in that group. Next I watched an interview with a guest of honor who is a fan and an aerospace engineer working on sustainable fuels for aircraft – her name was Anita Sengupta and she was very entertaining and enthusiastic. After that (and a quick shopping errand) I watched a panel about making interesting fictional villains; Martha Wells was one of the panelists and as thoughtful as ever.
In the evening I watched this week’s Friday movie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I hadn’t seen in more than 40 years, though I think I saw it twice before that. I really didn’t remember anything after Brad and Janet were separated. It was fun to crank up the volume to “Time Warp” and bounce around on the couch with Ambrose.